- December 2017
- November 2017
- October 2017
- September 2017
- August 2017
- May 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- December 2016
- November 2016
- October 2016
- August 2016
- July 2016
- June 2016
- May 2016
- April 2016
- February 2016
- December 2015
- November 2015
- October 2015
- May 2015
- April 2015
- March 2015
- January 2015
- December 2014
- October 2014
- September 2014
- August 2014
- July 2014
- May 2014
- April 2014
- March 2014
- February 2014
- January 2014
- November 2013
- September 2013
- August 2013
- July 2013
- June 2013
- April 2013
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- November 2012
- October 2012
- September 2012
- August 2012
- July 2012
- June 2012
- May 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- December 2010
Tagsgeox(43) Gabor(33) Peter Kaiser(28) Clarks(25) Mens(21) jeffery west(20) Hispanitas(19) review(18) Kids(18) startrite(14) wonders(13) boots(13) ladies(13) trainers(12) back to school(12) school shoes(12) childrens(11) womens(10) AW12(9) sandals(9) suede(9) loake(9) Unisa(8) ecco(8) school(8)
Tag Archives: school shoes
This summer we’re on a mission for everyone to get the absolute best out of their new school shoes, and make them last as long as possible. So we’ve put together a list of simple instructions to guide you through taking care of them. You’ll be able to find everything you need in store and online at thegoldenboot.co.uk
Well that went too fast. The summer holidays I mean. Time just seems to disappear, and before you know it the kid’s are heading back for a new school year.
We want to make sure you get the most out of this new pair of school shoes, so listen up (or maybe get the kid’s to listen up!) to the next few tips for making the new treads last, and ensuring they’re super comfortable, super quick.
1. When putting school shoes on for the first time after 6 weeks of wearing flip- flops, they’re going to feel uncomfortable. Your feet will have flattened a little and your toes will have separated, meaning a sturdy pair of leather shoes may feel tight at first. Unfortunately, we can’t wear flip-flops to school (or work, might I add) so we suggest wearing them around the house for a bit so you can get used to them.
2. Our shoe styles vary quite a bit. Some times, the heel and ankle collar is cushioned, meaning they’re not going to take too much softening. As the styles get more mature, along with the wearers, the cushioned collar look isn’t so desirable, so they tend to be slimmer and more stiff. This is part of the transition into adult shoe styles and they’re gong to take a little more wearing in.
3. We suggest grabbing some Vaseline or coconut oil, and pressing the back of the heel forward and back with your thumbs. This will essentially do a lot of the wearing in before your feet even touch the ground, reducing the chances of getting nasty blisters.
4. If you’re an older person, and have developed a taste for older person’s shoes, don’t go skidding around playing footy in them. These styles aren’t built to endure that kind of wear. So if you’ve gone ahead and played five-a- side, and they come home scuffed, don’t expect much more than an ‘I told you so’ raised eyebrow! And as for Scooters….!
5. Before wearing them on the first day, give them a good polish and coat of protector spray. This will help to guard against watermarks forming on the leather. Give them another spray now and again after the first wear especially after they’ve been polished!
6. Get your hands on some shoe cream. They come in different colours, as well as a neutral (for all shoe colours), and actually nourish and hydrate the leather when applied. When leather dries out, it will crack and the shoes will wear out a lot quicker. If they’re treated to some leather cream once in a while, it will keep them in tip-top shape for much longer. Just apply a small amount with a cloth all over the shoe. Then with a clean cloth, buff, polish and shine away.
If in doubt, bring them into the shop and we can give them some Golden Boot treatment.
In case you didn’t already know, we stock trainers, plimsolls, football boots and ballet shoes. We don’t work with huge trainer brands, that’s not really our scene, so you won’t see any ticks or shell toes on display. The trainers we do stock however, are leather and are top quality. Would we offer you anything less? Schools love them, they’re comfortable, we can fit them to feet with growing room, and they’re perfectly functional and practical. It also saves a trip to yet another shop.
Oh! One more thing. We sell name tags. Buy name tags. Buy all the name tags…
Happy New Term !!!
It’s not easy being a teenager. The transition from child to young adult is a roller coaster to say the least. We’ve all been there, it’s just easy to forget how confusing, frustrating and seemingly never ending it is.
The Golden Boot team has seen it all. Tears, strops, tantrums, the full on screaming ab dabs. You name it; they’ve dealt with it. So parents be assured and comforted in the knowledge that you are not alone. Let’s all just take a minute. Aaaand breathe.
The summer holidays have started, and you know that day is going to come creeping up on you. New shirts, new socks, new pencil case and ink cartridges, new book bag, new shin pads. Lunch. New coat, new name labels…new shoes…
The middle child just wants a pair of those cardboard pumps I’ve spoken about before, but the school won’t allow it. She’s hit 13 and knows more than you do. Obviously. The eldest just is in dire need of a pair of slip on loafers to go with his new ‘Year 10’ look. Let’s take a look at what the options are. Ladies first…
These are cute t-bar shoes with a detachable fringe front and a chucky, substantial sole unit. You can essentially have two pairs of delightful shoes for the price of one!
A great seller for the past couple of years from Clarks, has been Hamble Oak. It comes in leather and patent and is a super smart, formal brogue style shoe, with pretty detailing, laces and a small heel rise.
Pumps have become a sort of swear word for a lot of people, but there’s no reason for them to be. In the children’s range we have ?? a sweet and simple ballet pump shoe with a bow on the front. The only thing to consider when purchasing this pair, is that they can’t be fitted with growing room. When shoes have laces, straps or Velcro fastenings, we’re able to give a little more toe-wiggling room to accommodate for the next couple of months. If we did this with a pair of pumps they would fall off. Simple as. That said however, they look smart, wear well and are comfortable. Win!
If you’re into patent, then Startrite Eliza is the one for you. She’s chunky, with a cute t-bar and cut out details across the front.
When it comes to the lads in the room, we also have some great choices. The options from the men’s department are limited, as men’s shoe lasts are made very differently. They are all round considerably bigger, but if your young man is after a smarter style, as he gets older, we have a few to choose from.
Startrite Times is a lace up with a slightly tapered shape. The leather is soft and malleable, so they’ll be fitting like a glove in no time.
Or go for ??. This has a squarer toe and a plain front. Simple, sleek and smart.
If you’re after a chunkier style then we have just the one, Clarks Mayes Walk BL.
This chunky sole will keep you going for a while (no footy though). It’s a lace up with a smart appearance and a super comfy cushioned top collar.
If you’re in doubt, just ask. We will always do our absolute best to make sure your growing adults go away with something they love to wear and love to look at. Come in a see us!
What You Need to Know About Kickers- They are great!
Kickers are one of our favourite brands here at The Golden Boot. This iconic brand has spanned through decades and continues to this day to be a well-loved manufacturer of trendy but supportive boots that are a popular choice for school.
For our final test we tried our absolute best to crush down the heel cups of each of our school shoes.
We’re now half way through the Golden Boot School shoe testing process and we thought that it is time to test the uppers.
For test 3 we held the leather upper of our 5 school shoes against a stone grounder for 10 seconds. Here is a video of the process.
Test 2 at The Golden Boot Lab was designed to test the soles of our school shoes to their limits.
For Test 2 we marked a yellow spot on the sole of each shoe and used an angle grinder for 10 seconds to see how much damage we could achieve.
Here is our video showing The Sole Grind Test.
At The Golden Boot we have a good range of plain trainers from Geox perfect for the school playground or P.E.
Just in time for back to school 2012 we have introduced Atlante to our Geox school shoe range.
Geox make great school shoes, Crush and Savage are always best sellers for us, especially in the run up to Back to School.
The casual trainer styles are great for active kids and are smart enough to be accepted as school uniform.
Geox are known as the shoe that breathe as they have tiny holes in the sole unit centred around where the sweat glands are found in the foot. The shoes also have a special membrane in the sole which keeps sweat away from the foot but keeps water out, so they are great for wet weather and sweaty feet!
We feel that these styles have been truly tried and tested by our customers. We have stocked both Geox Crush and Savage for three years now and we have had fantastic customer feedback. Here is a selection of customer reviews.